The Best Boiled Egg
1. Half fill a saucepan with hot water and bring to the boil.
2. Bring eggs to room temperature to avoid the shells from cracking.
3. Lower the eggs into the water with a slotted spoon. Reduce the heat.
4. Simmer gently for:
4-5 minutes for runny yolks
6-7 minutes for soft yolks
8-9 minutes for hard yolks
TIP: to avoid harmless but unsightly greenish rings forming around the yolks,
don't overcook the egg and ensure you cool immediately in cold water. The shells can crack due to overcrowding the saucepan, overcooking or too high a heat.
The Perfect Poached Egg
1. Put hot water in a frying pan or shallow saucepan to a depth of 3cm and heat to simmer.
2. Break each egg into a saucer and then slip the egg into the water.
3. Simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the yolk is set and white is firm.
4. Remove the egg with a slotted spoon.
Serving with fruit, on bagels, toast, crumpets or dress for classic Eggs Benedict (pictured).
When poaching eggs, the secret is to use the freshest eggs available and yolk will remain in the centre of the white. Adding salt or vinegar to the water is not necessary and may flavour the eggs.