back to recipes
- Shortcrust pastry sheets
- 4 strips of bacon
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of your favourite cheese (Swiss cheese preferred)
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan
- 4 lightly beaten Pace Farm eggs
- 2 cups of thickened cream
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grounded pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Line a 20cm pie plate with the pastry. By all means, build a rim with the pastry and flute it.
- Cover the bottom of the pastry with a round of parchment paper and add enough dried beans or peas to partly fill the shell. Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven heat to 190 degrees. Remove and discard the beans and parchment paper and set the pastry-lined pie plate aside.
- Cook the bacon until crisp and remove it from the skillet. Pour off all but one tablespoon of the fat remaining in the skillet. Cook the onion in the remaining fat until the onion is transparent.
- Crumble the bacon and sprinkle the bacon, onion and cheeses over the inside of the partly baked pastry.
- Combine the eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Strain the mixture over the onion-cheese mixture. Slide the quiche onto a baking sheet.
- Bake the quiche until a knife inserted 3cm from the pastry edge comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Remove to a wire rack. Let stand five or 10 minutes before serving.